The Cupcake Book: The Mocha Latte


I must start by saying that this cupcake was DEVINE!!! By far the best cupcake, AND frosting, I have made yet. This weekend I was inspired by nothing in particular (except maybe the craving for a Starbucks Mocha) to make a "Cafe Cupcake" series of cupcakes. And while it only took me a few days to sit down and blog about it, well.....they're all gone as of tonight!



I am not yet extremely skilled at infusing cupcakes with odd flavors and such, but these turned out spectacular. In the cupcake itself, I used Starbucks black coffee with a shot of espresso to make a mocha cake.


In the buttercream I used a tiny bit of the coffee/espresso mixture, plus instant coffee powder dissolved in vanilla extract to give it a real hit of coffee shop goodness! Not only am I going to crown this buttercream my signature espresso buttercream, but I will probably be using the base of it to create other mouth-watering frostings! The texture was perfect; light and not disgustingly sweet but yet still firm enough to pipe beautifully and hold its shape.


I made chocolate cigarettes/curls by spreading a chocolate mixture on the bottom of a cookie sheet and putting it in the freezer for a few minutes. Then I shaved it into curls!


Many of these cupcakes were used for breakfast ;-) I could not resist them, every day when I opened up the container, it smelled like I walked into a Starbucks. Jon had a few too and he really liked them!


Photos by The Chocolate Cookie

0 comments:

Post a Comment