The Cupcake Book: Red Velvet "Big Top" Cupcake

This is the start to a huge project of mine. It's simple really, I have been periodically penciling ideas and drawings for cupcakes in a notebook and now I am going to begin creating them all; one amazing cupcake at a time. But lets start where the motive really lies... I grew up in a house where a woman sure could cook/bake...that'd be my mom! My mom used to decorate cakes and wedding cakes, she taught me how to bake, and though that part of me has stayed dormant inside for quite a few years, in the last 2-3 years it has come back with momentum! To the point where I dream of either having my own little bakery/cafe or being a chef. Or simply going on Hell's Kitchen someday and being screamed at by one of the greatest, if not THE greatest and most intimidating chef in the world, Chef Ramsay. I love cooking and baking alike, but something about pulling an amazing pastry or piece of cake out of the oven is just so rewarding. I think its the nerdy science/chemistry part of me that just loves seeing some nasty-on-their-own-tasting ingredients put together and come out as heavenly, addictive, sinful treats! 



I plan on making or attempting all types of cupcakes, including fruit-infused types, indulgences such as chocolaty-chocolate galore, and off the wall cakes like a maple bacon cupcake. Though I won't be posting my recipes for these like normal, I would be glad to share individually. And also, by all means, if you have an idea or request for a type or theme of cupcake you'd like to see me make, please send a message my way. So! For my future bakery, or as Jon suggests, future book, here is my first cupcake in The Cupcake Book:

Red Velvet "Big Top" Cupcake with Almond Frosting

The inspiration for this cupcake, and ultimately the start of the project was 'Water for Elephants'. I just recently finished reading it and got so lost in the beautiful colors and atmosphere of the book that it has been almost a struggle to be released from it's grasp. So what better way to start the project than with a circus! These cupcakes, modeled in the image of a circus "Big Top" were just as colorful in taste as they were in looks.


If this is not red, I don't know what is! It had me worried at first...


But then these gorgeous, taunting treats came out of the oven.

The moistness of the cake was incredible! One of the best cakes I've ever baked. And as my friend Melissa said, though you might expect a way-too-sugary frosting looking at this, looks are deceiving. This is the lightest, most perfect cupcake frosting I've achieved as of yet. I will probably share it later, so stay posted!



Photos by The Chocolate Cookie

0 comments:

Post a Comment