Open Faced Roast Beef Sandwich


This recipe was awesome for a fairly easy and fairly quick dinner option. I adapted it from a Martha Stewart recipe I found. You could cook this meal with any poundage of beef, the larger you go adding more roasting time of course. I would say I cooked the 3-4 pound round roast I used for about 45 minutes, but since it came out a little more well than I like (I prefer medium-rare to medium) I would take it out about 5-10 minutes earlier next time.


The problem I had was that I was judging by my instant-read thermometer. Though this IS what you should base your judgement off of, the thermometer I have is a cheap one and is very finicky. So get yourself a nice meat thermometer and cook to about 140 degrees internal temperature for medium rare, 160 for medium. And again, if you have a fairly small roast, like mine or smaller, the cook time is probably going to be a bit less to reach 140. And if you have a big, huge honkin' roast, say, 10 pounds (you wont) you'll be waiting for that baby to get done til' sunrise! Just kidding. Serve this with horseradish sauce and a spinach salad, or any salad, and it is a wonderful light, but delicious meal.



Open Faced Roast Beef Sandwich

  • 3-4 lb bottom round roast
  • olive oil
  • salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place roast in the center of a lightly greased, rimmed baking/cookie sheet.
2. Rub roast liberally with a few tablespoons of olive oil and add salt and pepper to taste. Rub all around the roast.
3. Cook in the oven for about 35 minutes for medium-rare, 40 for medium, checking a little early with meat thermometer. Careful not to open the oven too much, letting out heat.
4. When thermometer reads the ideal temperature (140-160) remove and let rest for a couple minutes. Cut and serve on a large slice of Italian bread, or any bread you like. Top with a bit of horseradish sauce or use it for dipping. Serve with a salad or veggies.



Horseradish Sauce

  • 1/2 to 3/4 cup of sour cream
  • 2-3 tsp prepared horseradish (more or less depending on your taste)
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 tsp salt
  • pepper to taste
1. Mix ingredients together, adding the horseradish a tsp at a time so that it is not overpowering depending on what you like. Mix well and serve.

Photos by The Chocolate Cookie

0 comments:

Post a Comment