Asa's Italian Sausage Pasta Sauce


This recipe is my favorite self-created recipe that I have done. It is one of mine and Jon's favorites, rich in flavor, and binds well to pasta. In the past, I have usually combined pasta ingredients together sort of at random, depending on how I felt, making it different each time. But the first time I threw this one together, I knew it was a keeper. So, before I forgot what I did, I wrote everything down, and over a couple more times making it, mastered this pasta sauce. In the future, I may make other sauces, but this one will never change, and will never stop being a favorite.

My first tip, do NOT drain the liquids after cooking your sausage. Keep those drippings for their flavor because it really makes a difference. My last tip...the more the merrier. Make a double batch if you want, because there won't be much for left-overs. :)


Asa's Italian Sausage Pasta Sauce


  • Cooking spray or 1 tsp olive oil for pan
  • 3 links sweet or mild Italian sausage, casings removed
  • 1/2 an onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 6 oz can tomato paste
  • 1 8 oz can tomato sauce (not pasta sauce)
  • 1 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes
  • 1-2 tbsp ketchup
  • 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 2-3 tbsp dried oregano
  • 1 tbsp dried basil
  • 1/2 tsp thyme
  • 1/2 tsp garlic salt or plain salt
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • a dash of cumin
  • 1-2 tbsp pesto (optional, I use Classico: Sundried Tomato Basil Pesto)
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice

1. Coat the bottom of a large skillet or pot with oil or cooking spray and cook sausage (casings removed) until no longer pink, crumbling/breaking apart as it cooks. Add onion and garlic and saute until onions are tender.


2. Add the whole can of tomato paste and stir to coat meat mixture. Add tomato sauce and the whole can of diced tomatoes, mix well. Add ketchup and Worcestershire sauce and mix again. Heat for a couple of minutes or until sauce is at an ideal consistency.
3. Add all herbs/spices and mix thoroughly, making sure spices spread through the sauce. Simmer for about 5 minutes on medium-high heat.
4. Mix in the pesto and lemon juice, heat through and remove from heat. Cool slightly before serving as sauce will be hot.


Photos by The Chocolate Cookie

0 comments:

Post a Comment