Asa's Pico de Gallo






Happy Hump day everyone! Tonight I am making one of my favorite dishes, Shrimp Fajitas! I created this recipe last year when I was craving fajitas but wanted to be healthy as well. Again, with the fresh ingredients, nothing about this one is fake! Unfortunately, for now you will have to wait until I cook up dinner, but I will leave you with my Pico de Gallo recipe...

Fun fact: Pico de Gallo literally means "rooster's beak." Though the exact reason it's called this is not definite, it's said that people used to eat it with their thumb and first finger and the name supposedly resembles the pinching motion they would make in doing this. This pico is so great with tortilla chips, on fajitas and you could add it to almost anything Mexican. It's delicious! So in my Pico de Gallo I usually use a mixture of mostly lime juice with a tbsp or 2 of lemon juice, but you can make any 1/4 cup mixture of these, I just think lime tastes better. For a kick, you can also add a minced chili pepper along with its seeds; I make it with and without the chili pepper, depending on how spicy I want it to be. Make sure to make this ahead of time, and pop it in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight so that the flavors blend nicely!


Pico de Gallo
makes about 2-3 cups

  • 5 roma tomatoes, diced
  • 1/2 a red onion, finely chopped
  • 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
  • 1/4 cup lime juice, plus 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tbsp cumin (don't forget the cumin!)
  • a dash of garlic powder
  • a dash of chili powder
  • a dash of cayenne pepper
  • salt and pepper to taste

1. Mix this all together, refrigerate for 3-4 plus hours, give it a stir and enjoy!


Photos by The Chocolate Cookie

0 comments:

Post a Comment